The panel details Trump’s 187 minutes of inaction on January 6. These are the key things that happened.

New messages from Meadows reveal what was experienced inside the Trump administration on January 6

Democratic Representative Elaine Luria of Virginia details what happened during the little more than three hours the panel argued that then-President Donald Trump failed to perform his duties on January 6, 2021.

The 187 minutes began at 1:10 p.m. ETin the final moments of Trump’s speech at the Ellipse, when he told his supporters to go to Capitol Hill.

“So we’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue — I love Pennsylvania Avenue — and we’re going to the Capitol. And we are going to try to give —the Democrats have no choice, they never vote for anything, not even a vote— But we are going to try to give our Republicans —the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need our help— we are going to try to give them the kind of pride and boldness they need to take back our country. So let’s walk down Pennsylvania Avenue,” Trump said.

After leaving the stage at Ellipse, Trump got into his motorcade and angrily tried to convince his drivers to take him to Capitol Hill, according to testimony from Trump’s White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson. The officers refused, telling him the scene was too dangerous and unstable.

Trump then watched television news coverage of the chaos unfolding on Capitol Hill, according to a reporters book Washington Post Bob Woodward and Robert Costa, and according to then-White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham, who said Trump I was “joyfully” watching the news.

Trump posted three tweets during this critical period. The first tweet criticized Pence for refusing to nullify the election. The second and third tweets told protesters to “keep your peace” and “obey the law,” but Trump notably did not order his supporters to leave Capitol Hill.

During the 187 minutes, a wide range of Republican lawmakers, former Trump officials and conservative media personalities texted Meadows, saying Trump needed to intervene, CNN previously reported.

And the 187 minutes ended at 4:17 p.m. ET, when Trump tweeted a video telling his supporters to leave the Capitol. He too praised the protesters and repeated their discredited lies about the election, which had sparked the riots in the first place.

“I know your pain. I know you are hurt. We had an election that was stolen from us. It was a landslide choice, and everyone knows it, especially the other side, but now they have to go home. We have to have peace. We have to have law and order. We have to respect our great people in law and order. We don’t want anyone to get hurt. It is a very difficult period of time. There has never been a time like this where something like this happened, where it could be taken from all of us, from me, from you, from our country. This was a fraudulent election, but we cannot play into these people’s hands. We have to have peace. So go home. We love you. You are very special. You have seen what happens. You see the way others are treated that are so mean and evil. I know how you feel. But go home and go home in peace,” Trump said in the video.

Because it is important: This deadline is critical to the committee’s mission. Rep. Liz Cheney, Republican of Wyoming, the committee’s Republican vice chair, has repeatedly said that the evidence obtained by the panel over these 187 minutes provides a stark example of Trump’s “supreme dereliction of duty” during the insurrection.

The Democratic chairman of the panel, Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, said earlier this year: “The president was told, ‘You have to tell your people directly to go home, to leave the Capitol.’ And so it took over 187 minutes to make that simple statement. Something is wrong with that.”

Source link